Inserting Roman numerals into the first section of your document and Arabic numerals into subsequent ones.
To make this work you need to split your document into two different sections, otherwise Word will apply one sequence of page numbers to the entire document. The process involves opening up the Header & Footer menu. This is where you normally go to add page numbers to your document.
- Place your cursor right at the start of the second section (or the section with the main body of your text).
- Go to PAGE LAYOUT and in the Page Setup menu, click on the drop down arrow for Breaks. Choose Next Page.
If you want to see how this looks ‘behind the scenes’ click on the HOME tab at the start of the ribbon and click on the paragraph sign ¶ under the Paragraph menu.
- The document is now divided into two sections.
- Still on the same page, double click at the top. This action opens up the DESIGN tab which, amongst other things, allows you to add page numbers in the header or footer of your document.
- In the Navigation menu (still in DESIGN) the tab Link to Previous (=section) appears as active. Click on it to break the link with the previous section.
- Go to the Header & Footer menu. Click on the drop down arrow for Page Number. Choose the style and location where you want your numbers to appear.
- Not done yet! Word recognizes that the page you are on the xth page of your document and it gives it the relevant number. Without closing the DESIGN tab, go back to Page Number in Header & Footer and this time choose Format Page Numbers. Select Start at: and type number 1 into the box (or whichever page number you want the main section of your text to start at). Click on OK.
- Scroll up and down to see how your page numbers look. Close the Header & Footer menu using the red x at the far right.
Now the Roman numerals…
- Back to the first section of your document. (Press Ctrl and Home to be taken to the top.) Double click at the top of your document to bring up the Header & Footer.
- Go to Page Number in the Header & Footer menu and click on the drop down arrow for Page Number. Again, choose the location where you want your numbers to appear and choose Roman style. If this is not immediately obvious, apply Arabic numbers then go back to Format; from there you can choose the Roman style. Select Start at: i and click on OK.
- Close Header & Footer. Well done!