1) List of books on Westlaw UK
To access books on the legal database Westlaw, go to the Library home page at www.abdn.ac.uk/library/ and type ‘Westlaw UK’ into the Search Our Collections box. Follow the link to Westlaw UK from the results screen on Primo and you will be prompted to log in with your University computer username and password through the Shibboleth authentication route.
There are 8 different tabs on the Westlaw UK website; go to Books. Westlaw will present you with a list of text books that we have access to in full text. Significant titles in the collection include:
- Anton’s Private International Law 3rd edn.
- Archbold Criminal Pleading Evidence and Practice 2018 edn.
- Davidson: Arbitration 2nd edn.
- Macphail’s Sheriff Court Practice 3rd edn.
- Palmer’s Company Law
- Redfern & Hunter: Law and Practice of International Commercial Arbitration 6th edn.
- Renton and Brown Criminal Procedure 6th edn.
- The Law of Contract in Scotland 3rd edn.
Click on a title and you will be given the choice to use the Free Text search box to a keyword search within the book, or to browse its contents through Mainwork.
2) If you come across an e-book while searching Primo…
Often a book can be available in different editions and different formats. These books are identified in Primo with the notation ‘multiple versions found’.
To understand this option, try the following search:
- Go to Primo and enter the following keywords into the search box under the Books+ tab:
law contract Scotland McBryde
- Primo will find 2 records containing those words. The record for: The Law of Contract in Scotland by William McBryde appears to include multiple versions.
- Open the View 4 versions link.
- The results are ranked chronologically with the newest edition at the top.
- Underneath the top entry you will see the words: Online Access. This means that the book is available electronically. To access and read it, click on either the View Online tab or the book title. You may be asked to log in with your University computer username and password. Clicking on the title will take you to the Browse and Search screens within the book.
Note: To obtain this book in paper format click on Availability. This will give you information about the location and availability of the item.
If you have any problems using Westlaw UK, please speak to a member of our team or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Taylor Library is open 9:00-22:00 most days. For more details see our opening times page.